After last night’s disaster, the only surprise is that nobody knew at what time this would be announced.
An official announcement was released by the university this morning after 11:00 am EST.
Tennessee Athletic Director Dave Hart released this statement:
Derek and I met early this morning, and I informed him that I believed a change in leadership, despite the positive contributions he has made to the overall health of the program, was in the best long-term interests of Tennessee football. We will immediately begin the search for the best possible candidate to assume this leadership role.
The university’s statement also indicated that Dooley will not coach this coming Saturday against Kentucky. Offensive Coordinator Jim Chaney will be the interim.
A press conference will be held in Knoxville at 2:00pm EST. It is widely reported that Dooley will not be in attendance.
More will be posted later today, including a requiem on last night’s embarrassment.
Vols 2013 Schedule
31 Aug Austin Peay
07 Sep W. Kentucky
14 Sep @ Oregon
21 Sep @ Florida
28 Sep South Alabama
05 Oct Georgia
12 Oct open date
19 Oct South Carolina
26 Oct @Alabama
02 Nov @Missouri
09 Nov Auburn
16 Nov open date
23 Nov Vanderbilt
30 Nov @Kentucky
- @newballpark He could benefit from lots of courses in lots of subjects. 4 hours ago
- @ThompsonScribe Fantastic news. Congratulations. Have no fear, and do good with it. 4 hours ago
- These free market pinheads going toe to toe with the Pope is absolutely hilarious. 5 hours ago
- Just another ugly reminder of the ugliness of Fulmer's last chapter. 6 hours ago
- A heartfelt congrats to Dave Clawson, a great and successful young coach who's failed short stay at Tennessee was not his fault. 6 hours ago
- Fear and Loathing of NSD
- Butch Jones: The Choice to Conduct Yet Another Rebuild at Tennessee
- Is it Time to Push the Panic Button?
- Vol Nation Comes Back to Earth: Straight Down from Space without a Parachute
- Some Fun for a Change
- The Dreaded Snowman
- Tennessee-Vanderbilt: A Microcosm of the Macrocosm
- The Dave Hart Show
- Dooley Fired
- Tennessee-Vanderbilt Preview: The Game as a Mere Distraction